Saturday, November 7, 2009

What's In My Pantry?

Our kitchen is small and there is no such thing as a pantry in my apartment (that would be a dream in a way).. so I try to keep the minimum in my cupboards to have as a base for my daily cooking... And since spices go bad within 12 months, I am not the kind of  person with two or three shelves full of spices.Here is a list of things I always have in my pantry cupboards. Anything missing?



Dry Goods:
  • French Indigo Lentils
  • Wholewheat pasta (any shape)
  • Buckwheat pasta (Soba noodles)
  • Wholewheat couscous
  • Quinoa
  • Long Grain white rice
  • Wild Rice
  • Corn meal (for polenta and corn bread)
  • Chickpeas flour (for socca)
  • Buckwheat flour (for savory crepes)
  • Nuts (pine, cashew, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecan)
  • Sesame seeds
  • Sunflower seeds
Spices:
  • Cumin (seeds and ground)
  • Sea Salt (coarse and fine)
  • Black Pepper
  • Cayenne Pepper
  • Bay leaves
  • Herbes de Provence (I put some in the Ratatouille if I don't have fresh herbs)
  • Celery salt
  • Cloves
  • Allspices
  • Nutmeg (ground)
  • Ginger (ground)
  • Cinnamon (sticks and ground)
  • Granulated Sugar (pure cane)
  • Cube sugar (I am French afterall)
  • Muscovado (unrefined cane sugar)
Canned Goods (yeah, yeah, I have some of those!)
  • Peas (as a back-up plan for any meal)
  • Corn kernels
  • Chickpeas
  • Red beans
  • Coconut milk
For Baking:
  • Powder sugar
  • Honey
  • Bittersweet chocolate
  • Vanilla extract
  • Vanilla beans
  • Almond extract
  • Orange flower extract
  • Raisins
  • Corn starch
  • Raising powder
  • Baking soda
For Seasoning:
  • Olive oil (I have a regular olive oil for cooking and a more gourmet one for seasoning)
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Red Wine Vinegar
  • Brown Rice vinegar
  • Soy sauce (regular and less sodium)
  • Sesame oil
  • Canola oil
  • Basil Tomato sauce
  • Vegetable stock with sea salt (cubes)
  • Beef stock (cubes)
  • Chicken stock (cubes)
I have more already-made sauce/chutneys but I keep them in my fridge, so I'll cover them in another post.



1 comment:

  1. Just discovered your blog. What lovely photographs and format! I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete