Thursday, September 2, 2010

Spinash - Feta Quiche

July 4th week-end is coming up, meaning that school is around the corner for us. I don't stress about school: I am actually looking forward to my children going to school even if it means that I'll have to go back to the workforce. After 3 months off, I just realized that I am out of practice when it comes to packing la lunchbox. And this year, I'll have to pack two!
As I was going through the list of things I packed last year beyond the obvious home-made sandwich (with homemade baguettes, s'il-vous-plait!) and other leftovers, I remembered that quiches (a.k.a. as tartes salées) were a big hit.  As I already wrote, we are big lovers of quiches in our house. I make one at least once a month, sometimes twice if we don't eat pizza.  I am always trying to make different quiches (quiche Lorraine, Swiss Chard quiche, Leeks,Ricotta and Bacon, etc.) so that we don't get tired of them. But how could you get tired of tartes salées? Really? It's a nice I-don't-know-what-to-make evening dinner (think a great alternative to pizza), a great dish to bring to a picnic (think July 4th week-end), a perfect brunch option (think having some adults friends over while kids play outside)... but really, as long as it's not too mushy, a perfect lunchbox meal!  Since my daughter wanted her quiche sliced, I would pack it in foil/a flat container and pre-cut it so that she would only have to eat it with her fingers fork. If any left, my husband would take his slice for lunch as well. So, it seems that this year, I'll make larger quiches to make my lunchbox-chore easier. In the meantime, we are having quiche tonight because yes, I don't know what else to make and don't feel like cooking much today !! I'll think of something else to put in the lunchboxes on Tuesday! Bon Appétit!
Ingredients:
For the dough:
- 5.64 oz (160g) of All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2.47 oz butter (70gr), cold and diced
- 1.5 Fl Oz (45 ml) ice cold water (more if necessary)


  • Mix in the flour and the salt
  • Add the butter and use a fork or a pastry cutter to make small pea-size pieces
  • Pour half the water and mix in
  • Pour the remaining of water, one tablespoon at a time
  • Use your hand to make a ball with the dough, being careful not to work the dough too much
  • Refrigerate for 30 minutes
  • Butter and flour a 9-inch pie mold
  • Roll the dough onto a floured surface and work it by hand from the center to make a 10-inch circle
  • Lay the dough on the mold
  • Refrigerate while you prepare the filling
 For the Filling:
- 2 bunches of fresh spinach (frozen are fine too)
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 8.4 Fl oz  (250ml) milk
- Feta cheese
- 2.82 oz (80g) shredded Swiss cheese (optional)
- Olive oil, salt and black pepper

  • Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C)
  • In a skillet, saute the spinach in olive oil. Drain on a colander.
  • In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper together
  • Lay the spinach on the dough.
  • Spread Feta cheese on the spinach
  • Pour the batter
  • Cover with shredded cheese (optional)
  • Cook in the oven for 40 minutes. 
My Personal Comments:
  • You can use Feta crumbles if you have some. Use as much Feta as you think you like. 
  • Using Swiss cheese on top will give the quiche an additional crunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment